Do you think Morningside could be the next Hartwood Acres?
Then enter your home in the holiday decorating contest.
Do you and the kids enjoy singing and drinking hot cocoa?
Come caroling or simply sing along when our amateur choir knocks on your door.
Do you wish you could have a Christmas tree but your cat won’t stop chewing on the branches and wires?
Then help decorate the neighborhood tree with your neighbors while breathing in that fresh pine scent.
Would you like to volunteer to help with Merry Morningside?
Then contact Garrett Cooper at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-692-1984.
Read on for more details, and we can’t wait to see you in December!
Merry Morningside Events
Sunday, December 9th at 5:00pm
Meet outside of 6808 Greenwood Street
Song sheets will be provided, but bring your own flashlight and festive scarf or hat! Caroling will last until it gets too cold or 6:00pm, whichever comes first.
Christmas cookies, tree trimming, and more!
Sunday, December 9th at 6:00pm
State Representative Dom Costa’s office, 6808 Greenwood Street, Suite 2
Guests are encouraged to bring a non-perishable food item to donate. All donations will be sent to the St. Raphael’s Food Bank. Attendees may vote for their favorite entry in the home decorating competition from 6:00pm – 6:30pm; winners will be announced at 7:00pm. Light refreshments will be provided courtesy of Rep. Dom Costa.
Holiday Decorating Competition
Wednesday, December 5th – Deadline to enter homes in the competition via paper entry. (Deadline has now passed.)
Friday, December 7th at 7:00pm – Final decorations must be hung! Judges will tour homes this evening and pictures will be taken for the people’s vote.*
Sunday, December 9th at 7:00pm – Winners will be announced at the holiday party, but decorators need not be present to win.
* There will be new guest judges this year and only those Morningsiders who come to the party can vote, so we’ve got a whole new ball game this year! 🙂
- To be considered for judging, a home must be registered in the competition. Judges will not visit decorated homes that have not submitted an entry form.
- Online or paper entries must be received by Wednesday, December 5th.
- There is no cost to enter the competition.
- Only residential properties/units in Morningside may enter. This includes apartments above businesses, but not storefronts.
- Places will be awarded based on a combination of the Contest Judges’ Vote and a People’s Vote (think “Dancing with the Stars”).
- Lights are not required, but are highly encouraged (judging will take place after dark.)
- Contest Judges will be looking for the lights/decorations that they like the most – not necessarily the house that is the most decorated. All judging is subjective. Contest Judges and Morningsiders voting in the People’s Vote may judge based on whatever criteria they choose.
- Decorations must be hung by Friday, December 7th at 7:00pm. Contest Judges will evaluate the registered homes after that time. Also on the evening of December 7th, contest organizers will photograph the homes. Pictures will be shared on facebook and put on display at the Merry Morningside Holiday Party for consideration for the People’s Vote.
- Prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place will be awarded courtesy of the Morningside Area Community Council.
- First place will receive $50, second place will receive $35, and third place will receive $15. The first place winner will also receive a trophy to display through the New Year.
- Winners will be announced at the Merry Morningside Holiday Party on Sunday, December 9th. Contestants need not be present to win. First, second, and third prize winners who do not attend the party will be contacted within 24 hours.
- Winners must be able to provide proof of residency in the winning home to claim their prize.
Rules for Multi-Unit Properties (Duplexes, Apartments, etc.)
- Units in multi-unit properties may enter individually or together. For example, 123 Main Street, 1st Floor and 123 Main Street, 2nd Floor could enter together and be judged as one household or enter separately and compete against each other for the prize.
- If a multi-unit “team” places, the cash prize will be doubled and split amongst the total number of units that have entered together. If there are more than two units, the prize will still double and be split evenly among the units. For example, if 456 First Street, 1st Floor, 2nd Floor, and 3rd Floor enter together and win second prize ($35), it will be doubled ($35×2 = $70) and split amongst the three units ($70/3 units = $23.33 per unit.)
- If a unit in a multi-unit building enters, they must specify what should be included for judging – for example, “123 Main Street, 2nd floor of house plus yard.”